Toll climbs in Norwegian landslide

Steffen Trumpf
·1-min read

Norwegian search and rescue teams have found three more bodies in the wreckage left by a landslide near Oslo, bringing the death toll to seven.

Several people are still missing but more than 100 hours on, emergency crews have not given up hope of finding survivors of Wednesday's tragedy, which had been said to include two girls.

The landslide in the community of Ask, about 40 kilometres northeast of the capital, left another 10 people injured and destroyed nine houses. About 1000 people have been evacuated.

No information has been released about most of the victims of the accident.

However local media reported the first victim found was a friend of Norwegian tennis star Casper Ruud.

The 31-year-old had held a leading position in a company the two men ran together, NTB news agency reported.

"We have lost a fantastic person and a fantastic fellow citizen. I have lost a friend, colleague and an important competitor in my team," Ruud wrote on Instagram.

Three of the victims were found on Saturday and three more on Sunday, following the discovery of the first body on Friday. Initially, 10 people were said to be missing.

Rescue work had earlier been hampered by the conditions at the site of the landslide and by the wintry weather.

Norway's royal family also travelled to the town to pay their respects.

King Harald V, Queen Sonja and Crown Prince Haakon arrived in the municipality of Gjerdrum on Sunday to meet with local representatives, rescue workers and those affected by the slip.

They lit candles in the church in memory of the victims. King Harald called the disaster "absolutely terrible," saying it was very difficult to put into words.