Bundesliga side RB Leipzig confirmed on Wednesday that they have parted company with coach Ralph Hasenhuettl, whose contract was terminated by mutual consent.
"It is perfectly legitimate for the club to decide not to seek an extension," said Hasenhuettl, who had a contract until June 2019.
"However, we also emphasised that it would not be desirable for both sides to enter a final contract year without a long-term future."
The 50-year-old Austrian took charge of Leipzig for 2016/17, steering them to second place in the Bundesliga in a stunning first season in Germany's top flight to qualify for the Champions League.
However, they came only third in their group and Leipzig, who are backed by energy drinks giants Red Bull, finished sixth in the 2017/18 Bundesliga after reaching the quarter-finals of the Europa League.
Following their remarkable first year in the Bundesliga, finishing second only to Bayern Munich after unearthing stars like Germany striker Timo Werner and Liverpool-bound Naby Keita, the team struggled for consistency this season.
Hasenhuettl signed off in style with a 6-2 away win at Hertha Berlin on Saturday when England junior international Ademola Lookman scored and set up two more goal in a superb team display.
Leipzig's director of sport Ralf Rangnick wanted to keep working with Hassenhuettl for one more campaign and the hunt is now on to find his successor.
"I would very much like to have gone into the next season together with Ralph Hasenhuettl as head coach," said Rangnick.
"I clearly expressed this wish in personal conversations with him.
"However, I have now come to the conclusion that another year together would have been sufficient.
"For Ralph, however, there was no alternative to an early contract extension.
"It was his express wish to terminate the contract and we met this wish with a heavy heart."
Coach Ralph Hasenhuettl and RB Leipzig parted on Wednesday after the club, which finished second in the Bundesliga last year,