Rape-accused cop takes aim at prosecution 'excuses'
A police officer accused of sexual assault says NSW prosecutors have undermined his trial and he's been reduced to "fossicking" for information.
Ankit Thangasamy, 31, was charged with sexual intercourse without consent on March 9, 2022, over an alleged incident at a bar in Sydney's CBD in December 2021.
He claims Crown prosecutors took too long to give him access to some documents, and have still not provided others, ahead of a readiness hearing scheduled for March 24 before a trial in May.
"I don't want to sound like a self-represented conspiracy theorist," Thangasamy told the Downing Centre District Court on Wednesday.
Crown prosecutor Gabrielle Steedman told the court there were a number of outstanding items but they were "peripheral" to the case.
An affidavit from her solicitor explained an administrative error and some personal circumstances that led to the delay.
"Now that they've been served there's no prejudice ... but we're certainly mindful he's self-represented," Ms Steedman said.
Thangasamy said there had been a "flagrant disregard for the operations of the court".
"I'm not sure if the Crown is intentionally misleading the court or the Crown has not done their homework ... what they're advising you is just wrong," he said.
"They've completely undermined the readiness hearing ... the matter is not ready for trial, they haven't served critical information."
The affidavit offered only a "laundry list of excuses", including IT errors and difficulties presented by the officer-in-charge being in regional NSW.
"This matter has been on foot for (more than a year), I'm sure they have computers in police stations in regional NSW," Thangasamy said.
Ms Steedman said the relevant portions of evidence the Crown would rely on had already been served but there was more to come in the interest of "completeness".
Some conversations referenced could not be provided because they were not recorded, but people involved in them would provide their recollection.
The Crown offered to file an addendum to the brief to reassure Thangasamy about what would be used.
Thangasamy said he had to subpoena the NSW Police Commissioner for information he thought should have already been in the brief.
"I've been reduced to fossicking for stuff ... it's a disgrace, it's a disaster," he said.
Thangasamy was not able to tell the court what "sanction or remedy" would be appropriate.
"I just want to put on record, there's been these excuses, delays ... we're not talking about a one-man shop operating on the Bathurst high street, we're talking about the DPP here," he said.
The Crown undertook to provide Thangasamy with all the evidence before the readiness hearing and give him further time to respond to it.
"I would also suggest modern litigants act in a modern way, it shouldn't sit on someone's desk until March 23," Acting Judge Graeme Henson said.