Queensland ends Covid lockdown despite new cases

·3-min read

Queensland's lockdown will end at 6pm on Saturday despite recording five new locally-acquired Covid cases, with another three in hotel quarantine.

The state's total of active cases now sits at 47, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced during a media conference.

"We are not out of the woods yet,” the premier warned.

However, she said she is confident contact tracers can get on top of the state's clusters, which prompted the lockdown extension in Brisbane and Moreton Bay that will end tonight.

The lockdown ended for all regions except Brisbane and Moreton Bay at 6pm on Friday.

The lockdown for Brisbane and the Moreton Bay area was extended by 24 hours on Friday.  Source: AAP
The lockdown for Brisbane and the Moreton Bay area was extended by 24 hours on Friday. Source: AAP

Of the five new cases reported on Saturday, one is a Sunshine Coast resident, aged in his 50s, who tested positive on Friday. He had been in the community while potentially infectious on June 28 and 29, before lockdown commenced.

Health authorities said they are confident he is linked to the Portuguese restaurant outbreak and has the Alpha strain.

Also included is a 29-year-old man linked to a previously identified case. He travelled to Eumundi, Sunshine Beach, Kenilworth and Doonan, prompting Ms Palaszczuk to urge people in the area to get tested.

"If you have been in any of those areas and have any symptoms, get tested," she said. 

"We also understand that he and his partner also went to a restaurant at Sunshine Beach, so we are trying to get that information, so that will be updated through the media later on."

A lady in her 50s who works at the Prince Charles Hospital and lives in Everton Park also tested positive.

Dr Chant said she received the first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine and was due in the next few weeks to get the second shot. She worked one shift at the hospital while infectious.

A worker at the Domestic Airport who lives in Carindale was also among the new cases. Genome sequencing is underway to determine where he picked up coronavirus.

The fifth case was in isolation for their infectious period and is linked to the Portuguese restaurant cluster.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

Premier's advice for people aged over 70

Brisbanites are being asked to abide by mandatory mask wearing rules and businesses are urged not to allow customers into their premises without using their phones to check in.

Masks remain mandatory outside the home in all areas that were subject to the initial lockdown, including all 11 local government areas in southeast Queensland, Townsville, Magnetic and Palm Islands.

Despite lifting the lockdown, the premier has urged unvaccinated people aged over 70 to limit going out over the coming 13 days.

“You know, close family is fine, but please limit and think about, you know, whether or not you need to go to a shopping centre, whether friends or family can drop some food over to you,” she said.

“Because we do know there is virus out there. So, we need everyone to pull together and act cooperatively and put our trust in one another, and really think about the most vulnerable people in our community.”

with AAP

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting