NEW DEFENCE TANK BOXER CRV EXPLAINED
WHAT IS IT?
* It's the most capable survivable field armoured vehicle available today.
WHO MAKES IT?
* Rheinmetall Defence Australia
HOW MANY WILL BE MADE?
HOW MUCH WILL BE SPENT?
* $5 billion
WHAT DOES IT DO?
* Protects crew against mines, IEDs and ballistic threats.
* Its eight-wheel-drive overcomes the most difficult terrain, handles high speeds on roads and turns in tight spaces.
* Equipped with a grenade launcher with potential add-ons including a missile system.
* Offers crew a 360deg view and can be remotely controlled without a crew.
* Fitted with a range of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance systems.
WHAT DID RHEINMETALL SAY?
"The BOXER CRV is a Swiss army knife to allow the soldiers to deal with the ambiguity of future peacekeeping and future war-fighting scenarios." - Rheinmetall's Head of Vehicle Systems Ben Hudson.
WHAT DID THE PRIME MINISTER SAY?
"This is about lethality and survivability. This is about capability and protection and the Boxer Combat Reconnaissance Vehicle bridges that all together." - Malcolm Turnbull.
WHAT DID THE DEFENCE MINISTER SAY?
"We've put them in the heat. We've put them in the cold. We put them in the wet. We put them in the dry. We shot at them, we tried to blow them up." - Marise Payne.