Huge fire engulfs Brisbane factory, spews toxic smoke

Firefighters have contained a blaze at a Brisbane factory that spewed toxic smoke across the city's northside.


The flames broke out in a Virginia car parts business about 3.30pm on Sunday and shocked motorists filmed mobile phone footage of plumes of black smoke billowing from the premises.

The business, All Crash Parts, was engulfed in flames and police said the smoke was toxic.

They declared an emergency situation and set up an exclusion zone, while paramedics were called as a precaution.

A huge fire has engulfed a Brisbane factory. Photo: AAP

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services urged residents to close their windows and doors and keep medications close by if they suffered respiratory conditions.

At its peak, 20 fire crews worked to contain the fire and managed to bring it under control about 6.45pm.

A QFES spokeswoman said several crews would remain at the scene overnight conducting their usual salvage removal tasks.