Four-year-old girl gets COVID-19 in Qld

·3-min read

A four-year-old girl has tested positive for COVID-19 in southeast Queensland.

The girl was a close contact of a truck driver who was infectious in the Logan community in recent days.

She tested positive on Friday, after the state had earlier reported zero new cases of the virus.

The girl attended a childcare centre at Mt Warren Park on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Other kids, staff and visitors who were at The Boulevard Early Learning Centre on those days must be tested and then isolate for 14 days.

The positive case will also force some children who attend after school care at the centre into quarantine.

Meanwhile, the premier has issued a public apology to angry Queenslanders for letting NRL families into the state while refusing to let stranded residents return home.

Annastacia Palaszczuk spent this week defending the NRL arrivals, but on Friday conceded "it shouldn't have happened" when Queenslanders in COVID-19 hotspots were banned from coming home.

The premier recently imposed a two-week ban on interstate arrivals saying capacity at the state's quarantine hotels was stretched to the limit.

When a plane load of NRL players' wives, girlfriends and children, along with league officials, was allowed in on Monday, Queenslanders stranded interstate, and families who'd packed up homes to permanently move to the northern state, erupted in anger.

On Friday, the premier reiterated the entourage did not take up rooms in state quarantine hotels, and were put up elsewhere by the NRL. But she also accepted the optics weren't good.

"I apologise, it was not the right thing to do when we had the pause," the premier said on Friday.

The ban on arrivals will begin to lift on Saturday when 50 newly available rooms in quarantine hotels will be filled.

There'll be a dramatic ramp up on Monday, when an additional 680 hotel quarantine rooms become available.

The premier has pleaded with everyone aged 16 and over to roll up their sleeves and protect themselves before the next cluster emerges.

"This is absolutely critical that we use this window of opportunity to get as many Queenslanders vaccinated so when the virus does get here, we are well prepared," she said.

Queensland's vaccination coverage, which is currently 51.6 per cent for one dose and 32.9 per cent fully vaccinated, is the second lowest in the country.

Dr Young said she wanted every eligible Queenslander to have been offered a vaccine before the state reopens.

She took offence on Friday when asked what level of COVID-19 deaths she would be comfortable with.

The question was asked in the context of Doherty Institute modelling the federal government is relying on to open up the country. It details the deaths that can be expected under different pandemic scenarios.

"I'm a doctor - none," she replied. "Come on, can you please remember who I am?

"I'm not comfortable with any deaths that are preventable, so that's why I want every single Queenslander to be vaccinated, because that is the best protection."

A Gold Coast family accused of making an illegal trip to Melbourne and back who initially refused to be tested has now relented.

Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll said officers were trying to track the family's movements through Melbourne and NSW.

"We will be investigating where they came from in Melbourne, but they also travelled through NSW. You can be assured that if there are any offences that they will be investigated."

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting