Zero Qld cases on day two of lockdown

Nick Gibbs
·3-min read

There were no new COVID-19 cases recorded in Queensland overnight as Greater Brisbane entered the second day of the snap lockdown announced on Friday.

More than 19,000 tests were conducted in the state over the past 24 hours and Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk thanked Queenslanders for complying with lockdown measures including the mandatory use of masks in public.

"Can I remind people if you do need to go to the shops to get a loaf of bread or some milk, put your mask on and you can go and do that. If you want to do a bit of exercise, please put your mask on, and you can go and do a walk around your neighbourhood," she said.

Police have handed out more than 700 masks and issued 21 infringement notices since the lockdown began.

Offences include leaving home without an exempt purpose, having too many visitors and the refusal to wear a mask.

More than 300 vehicle intercepts have been performed to ensure people aren't travelling unnecessarily.

Deputy Police Commissioner Steve Gollschewski said there had been much better behaviour at retail outlets after supermarkets were inundated by panic buyers when the lockdown was announced on Friday.

"The compliance has been exemplary so thank you to the community of southeast Queensland and those areas that are impacted for what you've done to work with us," he said.

The highly contagious UK variant has potentially been active in the community since January 2 but no locally acquired cases have yet been detected.

Queensland is on high alert after a cleaner at one of Brisbane's quarantine hotels was initially diagnosed with the UK virus strain.

Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said it was too early to say if there would be more cases in the community.

"We've got to remember this is a very contagious virus, even before the new variant, and this variant is 70 per cent more contagious, so I wasn't that surprised that our first breach was because of this virus," she said.

Ms Palaszczuk said a total of 147 close contacts have now been identified with 112 testing negative to date.

Health Minister Yvette D'Arth reminded non-essential workers in Greater Brisbane to stay home of possible as the lockdown enters its third day on Monday.

She asked potential contacts of the cleaner and a second woman, who tested positive to the UK variant and flew from Melbourne to Queensland, to come forward.

Precise times and locations are available on Queensland Health's COVID-19 website.

"If you have been to any of these sites in Maleny or South Brisbane or in the city on the train on that particular day, or the Jetstar flight, please come forward so we can assess whether you're a close contact and you need to go into quarantine and get tested," she said.

Residents in the council areas of Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich, Moreton Bay and Redlands must stay at home until 6pm on Monday except for essential work and shopping, exercise, to access healthcare or look after the vulnerable.

Ms Palaszczuk is expected to give another update at 9am on Monday.