The Queensland government has denied it hasn't done enough to prevent obesity and other health problems as a record health spend contributes to the budget's $83 billion blowout.
Next week's budget will include $18.3 billion for health, a rise of almost $800 million from last year, with hospitals in high growth areas Logan, Ipswich and Caboolture to be upgraded.
Queensland doctors want the budget to prioritise tackling "epidemic" obesity levels, calling for a state-wide awareness initiative targeting how parents feed their kids.
The government has given no guarantee to adopt the proposal by the Australian Medical Association of Queensland, despite admitting unhealthy residents were driving up costs.
"If people decided to take control of some of the lifestyle impacts that happen when you drink too much, smoke or eat too much, I think there would be less pressure on our health system," Treasurer Jackie Trad told reporters on Sunday.
Health Minister Steven Miles pointed to population growth, more older Queenslanders and people quitting private health in also raising demand for services.
He said the government would be paying more attention to sickness prevention.
"What this government has done in its first term is rebuild those frontline services," Dr Miles said.
"This budget sees us continue that rebuilding work, while also starting to refocus in on illnesses that are preventable."
Queensland's debt will continue to surge over the next four years, with Ms Trad saying it's the inevitable result of the government's plans to futureproof the state against a growing population.
The opposition said the government's increased spend on health would not guarantee better outcomes.
"We saw a record spend last year ... and the system is in disarray," Shadow Communities Minister Christian Rowan said.
"We're seeing longer surgical wait times, a blowout for emergency wait times and the return of ambulance ramping here in Queensland."
The budget will be released on Tuesday.