Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk is in talks with the NRL to host the State of Origin opener in 13 days time, following a COVID-19 outbreak in Melbourne.
The MCG is currently the venue for the June 9 clash, but that could change if the Victorian capital goes into lockdown from Friday, as expected.
The virus cluster in Melbourne's north expanded to 26 infections as 11 new cases diagnosed on Thursday.
The Victorian health department confirmed the new infections on Thursday ahead of a state government press conference to discuss what happens next.
Premier Palaszczuk says the Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane or Queensland Country Bank Stadium in Townsville could host the clash on June 9, if needed.
"We're putting our hand up - as I know other states will as well," Ms Palaszczuk told parliament on Thursday.
"We live in rugby league heartland. Queensland is the ideal place to kick off this year's State of Origin.
"I can confirm that we're in discussions with the NRL."
It's not the first time the Queensland government has bid to host a top-billing sporting event set for Melbourne.
Last year, the Gabba in Brisbane edged out Perth's Optus Stadium and the Adelaide Oval to be named as the venue for the AFL grand final on October 24.
Richmond beat Geelong 12.9 (81) to 7.8 (50) in the first-ever final to be held outside of Melbourne.