- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
A Queensland teen who struck and killed a couple in a stolen car while he was drunk and stoned could have his sentence appealed.
The families of victims Matthew Field, 37, and Kate Leadbetter, 31, says the 10-year jail sentence handed to the 18-year-old killer is "grossly inadequate".
Attorney-General Shannon Fentiman is waiting for legal advice to appeal that sentence, which also allows him to apply for parole after six years behind bars.
"My thoughts are with the family of Matthew Field and Kate Leadbetter. No one should have to endure the pain and loss that they have," she told AAP in a statement on Friday.
"Youth crime is a deeply complex problem, with no easy or quick fixes. We are absolutely committed to ensuring the safety of our community."
AAP understands the Director of Public Prosecutions will take a few weeks to provide advice on an appeal.
Speaking from the site of the crash on Friday, Matthew's dad Russell Field said the past week had been disappointing.
"It should have been the ... maximum penalty that was able to be imposed," an emotional Mr Field told reporters.
"If this doesn't send a message to the lawmakers of this state, nothing will."
Redland City Council mayor Karen Williams has started a petition requesting Ms Fentiman lodge an appeal against the sentence, as well as makes changes to the Youth Justice Act.
The Queensland Liberal National opposition is supporting the petition.
The then 17-year-old was drunk and high on cannabis when he ran a red light before colliding with a truck, rolling and hitting the couple at Alexandra Hills, east of Brisbane, on Australia Day in 2021.
Mr Field and Ms Leadbetter were killed instantly, suffering "catastrophic injuries", while their baby Miles was delivered stillborn at Ms Leadbetter's autopsy.
During sentencing on Wednesday, Justice Martin Burns said the teenager had to be dealt with as a child, with the "grave nature of offending" balanced by his youth.
The couples' parents said a sentence allowing the killer to be released on parole in five years was "grossly inadequate".
"Unfortunately for us, this is not the end, only the next phase of our emotional journey," they said in a statement on Thursday.
"Our sentence. Our "life" sentence started on Australia Day last year. It will never end. Our pain will never end.
"They will not be forgotten and we will never get over it. We will not move on, but at least for now, we can move forward."
Liberal National Party Leader David Crisafulli also backed an appeal, saying the sentence was too lenient and would not deter other youth offenders.
"Tragedies are the inevitable conclusion of a broken youth justice system," he said.
"A sentence that is proportionate to the crime is necessary.
"A sentence that acts as a deterrent is necessary."