A rowdy protest has marked the opening of the new Chinese consulate in Adelaide which has previously prompted questions over its size and staffing levels.
Premier Steven Marshall attended the opening on Tuesday as about 100 people gathered outside the suburban Joslin facility.
They held placards expressing concern over China's treatment of its Uighur people and suggesting the country had an involvement in the military coup in Myanmar.
The opening comes after SA Liberal Senator Alex Antic told Senate estimates last week the consulate had caused angst among local residents.
"There are, as we understand it, 12 foreign national staff working in what is a state of 1.7 million people with a significant defence project footprint and a significant Uighur population," he said.
"Does that not cause any alarm bells to ring?"
Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade secretary Frances Adamson said she fully understood the concerns of senators and residents.
"We are alert to as a government, as an agency within the government, both our obligations under the Vienna Convention and to the points that each of you are making," she said.
"This is a matter of, if you like, active consideration on our part."
There are about 30,000 Chinese citizens in Adelaide but there has been speculation the consular presence could intimidate the Uighur population, which is Australia's largest.
Ahead of the opening, independent Senator Rex Patrick said a significant reduction in the number of consular staff in Adelaide would help protect Australia's naval shipbuilding projects and other defence industry facilities.
"Australia's national security should always come first," he said.
But in a recent statement, a spokesperson for the Chinese consulate-general in Adelaide said "groundless accusations" had served to drive a wedge between the consular mission and local residents.
"It should be pointed out that, during the construction process, our consulate-general has strictly abided by the relevant local laws, regulations and building codes, and completed all the approval procedures," the statement said.
"Our consulate-general will continue to perform duties in accordance with the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, provide consular services and protection to the Chinese nationals in South Australia, and promote cooperation and exchanges between China and South Australia in various fields."