Premier not shying away from youth crime 'problem'

Extra measures have been promised to combat young Victorians committing crimes, with the premier conceding it is an increasing problem.

Attorney-General Jaclyn Symes and Police Minister Anthony Carbines met Victoria Police and youth justice workers on Thursday to discuss a response to crime by young offenders.

It follows Ms Symes sitting down with legal experts on Wednesday.

Premier Jacinta Allan said the ministers' meetings were a precursor to more talks she will hold with the same representatives next week.

A file photo of Jacinta Allan
Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan acknowledged the community expects action on youth crime. (James Ross/AAP PHOTOS)

"We know we need to take further action and that further action will come as a consequence of the meetings this week and next," she told reporters on Thursday.

Ms Allan said a stand-alone youth justice bill before Victorian parliament gave the government a vehicle to take additional steps on the issue.

"We know that the community is expecting us to take further action and it is important too that we reflect on those experiences of people who have ... been victims of crime," she said.

The government and courts have faced fierce criticism after a teenage boy was bailed over a crash at Burwood on July 2 that killed 28-year-old trainee doctor William Taylor.

The 17-year-old, who was allegedly behind the wheel of a stolen Jeep with five other teens inside when it crashed into Mr Taylor's car, was granted bail on Friday but had it revoked on Wednesday after breaching conditions.

William Taylor
William Taylor, 28, was killed in a crash, with a teenage boy who was charged later granted bail. (HANDOUT/VICTORIA POLICE)

A 15-year-old accused of being part of a group who left a schoolboy with life-altering head injuries in a Glen Huntly abduction in September also had a bail application rejected over alleged continued offending, including being found with keys to six stolen vehicles.

In another case, five teenagers were arrested on Thursday morning after attempting to flee from an SUV that had been stolen from Bonbeach in Melbourne's southeast.

A 13-year-old and two 14-year-olds were released pending summons, with another two 14-year-olds cautioned.

The premier was reluctant to describe the situation as a "youth crime crisis".

"We've not shied away ... from the fact that we know that we have a particular group of youth offenders,'' she said.

"They are engaging in repeat behaviour and ... that is causing huge distress and concern in the community."

On Wednesday, Ms Symes signalled ankle monitoring of repeat offenders on bail could be fast-tracked and expanded, aggravated burglaries cracked down on and bail revoked more frequently.

Youth group leaders and the Greens cautioned the government against adopting knee-jerk, simplistic and populist measures.

"What we need is evidence-based policy that will actually tackle the drivers of youth crime," Victorian Commissioner for Children and Young People Liana Buchanan told AAP.

Chris Lacey, head of programs for the Les Twentyman Foundation, said his group for at-risk youth backed the two-year ankle monitoring trial but wants more cash for programs to steer kids away from trouble.

Opposition spokeswoman Jess Wilson said the meetings would not allay public fears and called on the government to reverse changes to bail laws that took effect in late March.