While Princess Mary’s children have retained their titles, the children of Queen Margarethe’s second son, Prince Joachim, have lost the right to use HRH, Prince and Princess.
Instead, they will now be known as ‘His Excellency Count of Monpezat’ or ‘Her Excellency Count of Monpezat’ from January 1, 2023.
In an interview with Ekstra Bladet , the Crown Princess supported her mother-in-law’s decision.
“Change can be extremely difficult and can really hurt,” she told the publication. “I think most people have tried it. But this does not mean that the decision is not the right one.
“…And I can understand that it is a very difficult decision to have to make, and also a very difficult decision to receive.”
The royal also hinted that her own children — Prince Christian, 16, Princess Isabella, 15, and 11 year-old-twins Princess Josephine and Prince Vincent — may give up their titles in the future.
“We will also look at our children’s titles when the time comes. Today we cannot see what the royal house will look like when it is Christian’s time, or when Christian’s time begins to approach,” she said.
'Sad, shocked and confused'
This comes after Prince Joachim’s family condemned the move.
Prince Joachim’s wife, Countess Alexandra, said that she was “very sad” and “shocked” by the decision.
Her press secretary, Helle von Wildenrath Løvgreen, spoke to CNN on her behalf.
“She can’t believe why and why now, because there’s no good reason.
“They would lose their titles anyway when they get married one day. Her sons are young men so maybe they might get married in the near future so why shouldn't it wait until that day so that the titles would disappear on a happy day?”
Prince Joachim, the youngest son of Margrethe, claimed his children Nikolai, Felix, Henrik, 13, and Athena, 10, were only given five days' notice of the change.
The palace then hit back, saying in a statement that there were "lots of emotions" but the decision was a "long time coming" and was designed to "future-proof" the monarchy.
Joachim said his children had been "harmed" by the news they'd no longer be able to use His or Her Royal Highness and had been stripped of their prince and princess titles.
"We are all very sad. It's never fun to see your children being harmed. They are been put in a situation they do not understand," he told Ekstra Bladet.
Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter.
Or if you have a story idea, email us at email@example.com.