Princess Beatrice has married her fiancé, Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, in a secret ceremony in front of the Queen, 94, and 99-year-old Prince Philip.
The royal couple said ‘I do’ at 11am (local time) on Friday at a ceremony in All Saints Chapel, Windsor.
Just 20 guests were present at the intimate event, The Sun reported, including Her Majesty, the Duke of Edinburgh and the bride’s father, Prince Andrew, 60.
The palace said in a statement: “The private wedding ceremony of Princess Beatrice and Mr Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi took place at 11am on Friday 17th July at The Royal Chapel of All Saints at Royal Lodge, Windsor.
“The small ceremony was attended by The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and close family.
“The wedding took place in accordance with all relevant Government guidelines.”
Buckingham Palace confirms Princess Beatrice’s wedding today: “The private wedding ceremony of Princess Beatrice and Mr Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi took place at 11am on Friday 17th July at The Royal Chapel of All Saints at Royal Lodge, Windsor.”— Victoria Murphy (@byQueenVic) July 17, 2020
Much care was taken to ensure social distancing, with the Queen and Prince Philip reportedly shuttled directly from Windsor Castle — where the pair have been isolating since March — to the chapel.
The monarch is said to have left the ceremony promptly at 11.45am in order to present a knighthood to 100-year-old NHS fundraising hero Capt Tom Moore inside Windsor Castle that afternoon.
Princess Beatrice’s mother, Sarah ‘Fergie’ Ferguson, was also expected to attend along with her younger sister, Princess Eugenie, and her brother-in-law Jack Brooksbank.
Edoardo’s parents — Count Alex Mapelli Mozzi and Nikki Williams-Ellis — as well as his sister Natalia Yeomans are thought to have been present too.
Bea and Edo’s wedding plans
The princess, 31, and her 37-year-old millionaire property developer beau were due to marry back on May 29 at the Chapel Royal at St James's Palace, London, but the coronavirus pandemic forced them to cancel their plans.
The following month, it was thought the future husband and wife would scale down their 150-person guest list and lavish reception at Buckingham Palace in favour of a smaller ’do, however those rumours were quickly hosed down.
“There are no plans to switch venues or hold a bigger wedding,” a spokesperson told People at the time.
Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrice and Mr Mapelli Mozzi became engaged in Italy earlier this month. The wedding will take place in 2020. This photograph was taken by Princess Eugenie in Italy.— The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) September 26, 2019
📷 © Princess Eugenie pic.twitter.com/sTFjUqk3My
“They aren’t even thinking about their wedding at this time.
“There will come a time to rearrange, but that’s not yet.”
Beatrice and Edo announced their engagement on September 26 last year after about a year of dating.
Edo, who is a member of the Italian nobility, got down on one knee with a platinum and diamond engagement ring worth an estimated £100,000 (AUD$180k) while the couple were on holiday in Italy.
Just weeks after revealing their happy news, Beatrice’s father, Prince Andrew, became embroiled in a scandal over his friendship with late paedophile Jeffrey Epstein, prompting the couple to call off their engagement party.
Beatrice and Edo’s wedding marks the first time Prince Andrew has been seen in public since his disastrous BBC interview and subsequent removal from official royal duties.