Princess Anne discharged from hospital after being struck by horse

Princess Anne has returned home after five nights in hospital with minor head injuries and concussion.

She departed privately without being seen and headed back to her Gatcombe Park home.

The 73-year-old was struck by a horse while walking at the Gloucestershire estate on Sunday.

Her husband, Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, praised medical staff who looked after her in Bristol.

"I would like to extend my warmest thanks to all the team at Southmead Hospital for their care, expertise and kindness during my wife's short stay," he said.

On Tuesday he was seen taking a navy bag into the hospital containing "just a few little treats from home".

Anne's daughter, Zara Tindall, visited her separately the same day.

It's understood the princess will now rest at home and follow standard concussion protocols, and only return to public duties when doctors advise it's safe to do so.

Her medical team believe the injuries were caused by a horse's legs or head, but precise details are not yet known.

An air ambulance was scrambled when the incident happened on Sunday evening, but the princess travelled to hospital by road after being treated at the scene.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak wished her a "swift recovery" earlier and said everyone is "immensely fond" of her.

Labour leader Keir Starmer also wished her a "speedy recovery".

Read more from Sky News:
Police call for volunteers to take part in Jay Slater search
Prince Harry ordered to explain why messages 'destroyed'

A skilled horsewoman, Princess Anne was the first royal to compete at the Olympics, in 1976.

Known as the King's right-hand woman, she is seen by many as the hardest-working royal and has a reputation for her no-nonsense approach.

Her stay in hospital comes as the King and Princess of Wales continue their treatment for cancer.

Kate returned to the public eye for the first time since revealing her diagnosis when she took part in Trooping The Colour a few weeks ago.