Pre-schoolers have “accidentally” been served liquid cleaner instead of apple juice.
Three girls, one four-year-old and two five-year-olds, were served household cleaner Pine-Sol at the Kilohana United Methodist Church Preschool in Hawaii last Tuesday.
They were evaluated by paramedics, the Honolulu Emergency Services Department said.
None of them were sick or injured and their parents didn’t take them to hospital.
“Only sips were taken before the lead teacher realised the liquid was not apple juice,” the preschool said.
“The staff responded immediately by calling EMS and police. The children’s parents were immediately notified as well.”
The preschool director said the Pine-Sol was mistaken for apple juice by a classroom assistant “because it was the same colour”, according to health department inspection report.
However, the report noted the Pine-Sol was in its original container and properly labelled.
It also said the cleaning cart has no food items on it and cleaning supplies are stored on it.
All food items in the kitchen are also properly stored and labelled in kitchen cabinets, the report stated.
The classroom assistant no longer works at the school, KHON2 reported.
Parents were notified of what happened but some are in disbelief.
Mum Turina Lovelin told KHON2 “it’s extremely terrifying”.
“It’s very, very scary, but it’s hard for me or any of the people that I’ve spoken to to understand how it happened in the first place,” Ms Lovelin said.
However, some parents believe the school dealt with the issue adequately.
The preschool said it will be evaluating its process for obtaining snacks and refreshments to prevent any chance of this happening again. Staff will also undergo additional training.
With Associated Press