The body of an elderly man reported missing in the flood-hit community of Eugowra has been found by police as communities brace for further inundation.
NSW Police on Saturday said they had not formally identified the body but believed it was an 85-year-old man who had been the subject of a wide-ranging search.
The man was last seen at his Eugowra home on Monday morning and was reported missing when family members couldn't contact him.
Significant concerns had been held for his welfare due to severe flooding in the area, police said.
The body was found on the outskirts of the town on Saturday afternoon. A report will be prepared for the coroner.
Flood-weary NSW communities are bracing for further storms and damaging winds as emergency services continue to work through the night.
Forbes mayor Phyllis Miller told ABC TV there had been a lack of communication.
She said the NSW government had not consulted locals about what they needed.
"We know our towns, we know what we need," Cr Miller said.
While Forbes residents won't know the extent of the damage until waters recede, Cr Miller said crews would begin rapid damage assessments on Saturday so people could start cleaning up.
"The people of Forbes are resilient," Cr Miller said.
"We are a tough lot out here and we help each other. I think we will be OK."
The NSW State Emergency Service performed nine flood rescues in the 24 hours to 4pm Saturday and received 256 calls for help.
Premier Dominic Perrottet has told communities to prepare for more chaos, with new storms set to roll across the state's southeast at the weekend.
More than 70 NSW local government areas are currently subject to disaster declarations.
There are 23 emergency warnings in place and the SES says communities need to be prepared for potential flash flooding and continued major riverine flooding in many of the state's catchments.
Touring the devastated central western town of Eugowra on Friday, Mr Perrottet pledged support to rebuild flooded communities.
"What I have seen everywhere I go across the state is we get through it and we rebuild and the communities come back and they come back stronger," the premier said on Friday.
Relief payments for affected farmers were increased on Friday and caravans will soon be brought in to temporarily re-home Eugowra's evacuees.
"We will ... put people back on their home blocks, even if their home is not habitable, in a caravan if they so choose," Emergency Services Minister Steph Cooke said.
Major flooding is expected to continue along several river systems, including the Lachlan, Darling and Murrumbidgee, affecting towns including Forbes and Condobolin in the central west, Bourke in the northwest and the Riverina town of Hay.
Prolonged major flooding in Forbes isn't expected to ease until early next week.
Downstream, Condobolin and Euabalong are bracing for the worst after the Lachlan River rose beyond records set there in 1952.
After a brief respite, a rain system was set to return to Australia's eastern states on Saturday, bringing showers and thunderstorms.
The Bureau of Meteorology Bureau said NSW, Victoria and Tasmania would bear the brunt of the system on Saturday before it eased into Sunday.
Come Monday, southern South Australia, Victoria, Tasmania and southeastern NSW can expect widespread showers, possible hail and thunder.
With some rivers in flood for the past six months, NSW State Emergency Service chief Ashley Sullivan said affected residents should expect the situation to continue through Christmas and into the new year.