Power yet to answer WA virus breach charge

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·1-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

A Perth magistrate has granted an adjournment to prominent businessman Neville Power, who is accused of flying to Western Australia in a private helicopter without a travel exemption.

Power, 63, and his 36-year-old son Nicholas Power, are each facing three charges of failing to comply with a direction under WA's Emergency Management Act.

Neville Power was appointed by Prime Minister Scott Morrison in March last year to head up a commission tasked with advising the government on economic and social problems arising from the COVID-19 pandemic.

He is the chairman of Perth Airport and former chair of Fortescue Metals Group.

Police allege Power and his son, who are yet to enter pleas, flew by helicopter from Queensland to Exmouth, on WA's northwest coast, on October 8. They stopped to refuel in Carnarvon and Geraldton before arriving at Jandakot airport the next day.

It's alleged they had not completed G2G travel passes.

Travellers from Queensland were required at the time to isolate for 14 days upon arrival in WA under the state's controlled border regime.

Both men were charged by WA Police and directed to self-quarantine for 14 days. They returned negative COVID-19 results.

The father and son were scheduled to face Perth Magistrates Court on Monday but did not appear in person.

Their lawyer Alexander Mossop requested a four-week adjournment which was granted by magistrate Raelene Johnston.

Neville Power's company Airpower Australia Pty Ltd, which owns the helicopter, is also charged with failing to comply with a direction.

They are scheduled to return to court on December 13.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting