A leading barrister has taken aim at Queensland's defamation law inquiry, pointing to flawed amendments and urging a national approach to reform.
A week after being booted from the legal team of former federal attorney-general Christian Porter, Sue Chrysanthou SC has shared her thoughts on the sunshine state's proposed law changes.
In submissions to a state parliamentary committee, Ms Chrysanthou argued proposed amendments are flawed and should be abandoned, citing a previous failed NSW government-driven review process.
But the committee deemed Ms Chrysanthou's submissions to have arrived late and therefore be ineligible for consideration or inclusion in the report.
Attorney-General Shannon Fentiman previously introduced amendments to the Defamation Act which she said will provide clarity to courts, the community and the media.
One of the major amendments in proposals in the consultation draft was to introduce serious harm as an element of the cause of action for defamation
Though well intentioned, Ms Chrysanthou disputes that the serious harm amendments of the legislation will not lead to a reduction in the amount of defamation litigation or disputes and ultimately, are unworkable and should be abandoned.
She added that public interest defence amendments are unnecessary because they will not lead to a reduction in the amount of defamation litigation or permissible public interest journalism.
She also said the Commonwealth was best placed to handle the review and reform process.
Queensland's department of justice and attorney-general did not respond to Ms Chrysanthou's comments.
The defamation amendment bill was tabled in parliament on Friday after being introduced in April.
The amendments are based on existing UK laws, but they add a list of factors that courts can take into account when considering the public interest defence.
Earlier in April, Ms Fentiman said changes to defamation laws would allow journalists to prove in court that they reasonably believed that publishing an allegedly defamatory statement was in the public interest.
Ms Chrysanthou had been working for Mr Porter in his defamation action against the ABC until an application to unseat her was made by the friend of a woman at the centre of allegations against the federal minister.
The federal industry minister and the public broadcaster on Monday separately announced they had settled court action over a February 26 article about a now-deceased woman's claim that Mr Porter had raped her decades earlier.