An Australian filmmaker is preparing to make a graphic movie about Australia’s most prolific mass murderer, despite anticipating death threats and not having the support of survivors.
Producer Paul Moder told News Corp that Bryant — the Port Arthur Massacre would start production later this year, even though the victims' families, survivors and Port Arthur community want nothing to do with it.
"The film will be a drama and I will not shy away from depicting the inherent violence and madness of the tragedy in a graphic manner," Mr Moder told News Corp.
Moder said he was haunted by the Port Arthur tragedy but felt it was time to examine the event.
The Port Arthur massacre is the deadliest mass killing in Australia’s history.
35 people were killed on April 28, 1996, when gunman Martin Bryant opened fire in the café, gift shop and car park.
It took Bryant just 15 seconds to kill 12 people and wound 10 more in the café.
He then went to a nearby B&B, which his father had once tried to buy, and indiscriminately killed several more people there.
Bryant was captured by police when he set the house on fire and ran out.
He was sentenced to 35 life sentences plus an additional 1035 years in jail.
Moder urged those who felt they could be traumatised by seeing his ‘re-enactment’ not to watch the movie.
He said he had failed to win support of many who had been affected by the tragedy and said he expected backlash to the film, but would not be deterred in making it.
The news of the film comes after documents revealed Bryant had seriously assaulted four people in prison in the last 18 months.
Bryant is currently serving 35 life sentences at Hobart’s Risdon Prison.
Staff were reportedly left ‘very concerned for their safety’ after he attacked three government employees in 2014.
The Daily Telegraph reports that following these assaults, authorities launched an investigation into Bryant’s ‘aggression’ and documents revealed his 'psychiatric medication did not appear to be maintaining [his] behaviour,’
After a total of four serious assaults, Tasmania's justice department provided the government with a briefing.
'Tasmania Prison Service staff have been urged to be cautious in their interactions with him,' it said.
The Herald Sun reported that in September it was revealed that Bryant was permitted to spend several hours outside his cell each day, where he was sometimes seen trying to kick an AFL ball.
It was also reported that Bryant spent most of his time under heavy sedation and offered chocolate to other inmates in exchange for sexual favours.