Police release body cam after officer caught on video punching woman on beach

Police have released body camera footage showing the violent arrest of a woman accused of underage drinking on a beach in New Jersey, US.

A bystander posted video online earlier in the week which quickly went viral, showing young mother Emily Weinman being apprehended by officers on Memorial Day weekend.

Two officers from Wildwood Police Department were filmed trying to restrain her, with one male officer striking the woman twice in the head as she is forced into the sand before she is placed in handcuffs.

The 20-year-old woman now faces several charges, including aggravated assault on a police officer.

Body cam vision shows 20-year-old Emily Weinman walking away from officers as they attempt to arrest her. Source: Wildwood Police Department

The body camera footage shows an officer as he confronts and argues with Ms Weinman over the discovery of alcoholic iced tea drinks in her possession.

In the footage, Ms Weinman takes a breath test and claims that she hadn’t consumed any alcohol.

Wildwood officials say the mother assaulted the officers first, with one officer claiming she kicked him.

Ms Weinman can be seen walking away from the officers as they attempt to arrest her and while she appears to shove one cop, her alleged kicks can’t be seen.

Ms Weinman resisted arrest, claiming she hadn’t done anything wrong. Source: Wildwood Department Police

Police have identified the officers involved as Thomas Cannon, John Hillman and Robert Jordan.

Ms Weinman’s lawyer says the video shows police overreacted.

The mother-of-one took to Facebook in a now-deleted post to give her side of the story.

She said she had gone to the beach with the father of her child and was approached by officers about a bottle of alcohol she had with her.

The young mother is led to a police car after being handcuffed on the beach. Source: Wildwood Police Department

She says she failed a breathalyser test, but denied she had been drinking the contents of the bottle she had on her.

“I didn’t do anything wrong. He told me he’s arresting me and started coming towards me to put handcuffs on me,” she wrote online.

She said the officer tackled her to the ground, forcing her to black out.

“Thats when he headlocked me by his arm around my neck, punched on me in my head and then he headlocked me again but this time choking me, I was gasping for air,” she said.