Perth girl, 9, finds glass shard in popular children's medicine

A Perth girl claims she almost swallowed a piece of glass while treating her sore throat with a popular children’s medicine.

Mia Booth, 9, says she spat out the glass shard after emptying a plastic syringe of formula from a bottle of Nurofen for Children into her mouth.

“I seriously spat it out of my mouth and it was a piece of glass and I was like ‘wow this is crazy’,” she told 9News.

“I think it might have sucked to the syringe. The glass has gone into the suction and then it’s gone into mu mouth.”

Mia, the bottle of Nurofen and the glass shard.
Mia said she immediately spat out the glass she claims was inside a bottle of Nurofen for Children. Source: 9News

The young girl’s grandfather said Mia was “a bit disturbed” about the incident and warned that the situation could have been much worse.

“…if it happened in the wrong circumstances it could be quite serious, if someone swallowed that or if it was someone younger,” Robert Stone told the publication.

The family has notified Nurofen and the chemist where the plastic bottle of medication was purchased.

The company told 9News it is investigating the incident.

“Nurofen for Children has been made aware of this isolated incident,” a spokesperson said.

“We have requested further information and details of the product used in order to support our investigation.”

Yahoo News Australia has contacted Nurofen for comment.

The bottle of Nurofen and the glass shard.
The family has notified Nurofen and the chemist where the plastic bottle of medication was purchased. Source: 9News

Mum claims kitchen item saved daughter's life

Last month, a mum from the US claimed an unlikely kitchen staple helped save her daughter’s life after she swallowed a button battery.

Katie Jacobsen said her family was enjoying their dinner when her daughter Maggie announced she'd "swallowed that shiny thing".

After noticing her daughter’s doll had its batteries missing, she panicked and sought advice online as they rushed to the hospital.

It was then they discovered honey could help. Once at the hospital, doctors rushed Maggie in for an X-ray.

“Sure enough there is a battery, but it has slid right down to her stomach where it is less dangerous,” Ms Jacobsen said.

In Australia, one child a month is seriously injured after swallowing or inserting the small, round battery into their mouth, according to ACCC's Product Safety Australia.

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.