Person burnt after using dog bed to tackle fire

The fire-damaged kitchen
Firefighters provided first aid to the resident while they awaited the arrival of an ambulance [ECFRS]

A person suffered minor burns after they used water and a dog bed in an attempt to put out a fire.

Firefighters went to a "significant" blaze near Limes Avenue, Chigwell, Essex, at 16:21 BST on Tuesday.

The crews determined the fire was caused by oil overheating in a chip pan which set alight in a kitchen.

“We cannot say it enough, please don’t try and tackle fire yourself," watch manager Glenn Jackson said.

The property was ventilated by the firefighters after the incident, and they replaced a defunct smoke alarm.

Mr Jackson said: "When the chip pan set alight, the resident tried to tackle the fire themselves using a dog bed and then water.

"This made the fire worse which unfortunately caused the resident to suffer minor burns and smoke inhalation."

He added that crews did a "great job" to provide first aid until an ambulance arrived.

Follow Essex news on Facebook, Instagram and X. Got a story? Email or WhatsApp us on 0800 169 1830

More on this story

Related internet links