- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Dominic Perrottet has been sworn in as the 46th premier of NSW, vowing to make no major policy or personnel changes in the coming months as the state emerges from COVID-19 lockdown.
The 39-year-old, from the Liberal Party's conservative faction, defeated Rob Stokes 39-5 in Tuesday's leadership ballot at Parliament House.
Stuart Ayres is the new deputy leader and Matt Kean will be treasurer.
Mr Perrottet - a father of six - vowed on Tuesday to be a "family premier" and prioritise the plight of working families in NSW.
He also pledged to maintain policy and cabinet continuity after Gladys Berejiklian's resignation, with no reshuffle in the short term and no major policy changes as lockdowns draw to an end.
He said he would maintain this position at least until summer.
However, the premier indicated he was keen to get children back to school - currently scheduled for October 18 - as soon as possible.
He will also need to appoint a new environment minister to replace Mr Kean and a transport minister to replace Andrew Constance, who announced his resignation at the weekend.
"We are at an important juncture. On Monday, the state opens up and we want to get people back into work, get business open again, and that is the focus of our government," Mr Perrottet said.
"This is not a time for people to be focusing on themselves."
Mr Perrottet knocked back speculation he would bring forward the easing of restrictions in NSW from next Monday to this week, saying he would be briefed by NSW Health later on Tuesday.
NSW is likely to reach its initial COVID-19 vaccination target - 70 per cent double-dose coverage of those 16 and over - by Thursday.
The 80 per cent double-dose milestone is expected about two weeks later and December will usher in a broader "COVID-normal" era when unvaccinated and vaccinated people will enjoy similar freedoms.
Opposition Leader Chris Minns on Tuesday said any change to NSW's roadmap out of lockdown should be backed by health advice.
While Labor has sought to demonstrate bipartisanship over health policy amid lockdown, Mr Minns said the opposition would strongly oppose any attempts to privatise more assets.
"My real fear is that this rigid, doctrinaire approach to economics will be carried on into the NSW rebuild," Mr Minns told reporters.
"I don't think we need five years like the past five years."
Long touted as the premier-in-waiting, Mr Perrottet struck a deal at the weekend with his moderate colleagues to make Mr Ayres deputy.
Ms Berejiklian resigned on Friday after the state's corruption watchdog disclosed she was being investigated for potential breaches of public trust during her secret five-year relationship with former Wagga Wagga MP Daryl Maguire. She did not attend Tuesday's vote.
Mr Perrottet acknowledged the ICAC investigation connected to Ms Berejiklian - due to start on October 18 - would prompt public commentary but insisted it would not distract his government.
A post-lockdown economic recovery plan will be announced shortly.
"Where we had success last year, we'll double down," Mr Perrottet said.
Mr Stokes, 47, had offered himself as an experienced alternative to Mr Perrottet but admitted the party had chosen "emphatically". The Pittwater MP will remain in the planning portfolio.
Mr Perrottet also said he was happy to work with whoever was voted the new National Party leader and deputy premier on Wednesday following John Barilaro's resignation on Monday.
Paul Toole and Melinda Pavey have put their hands up for the top job.
Mr Perrottet acknowledged being a father of six was "demanding" but said he felt enriched by his family responsibilities.
"What I might lose in time, I gain in perspective," he said.