Pele leaves intensive care

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·1-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Pele has been moved out of intensive care and into a general room after the Brazilian soccer great underwent surgery to remove a tumour in his right colon.

Sao Paulo's Albert Einstein hospital said in a statement that the 80-year-old is in good clinical condition.

Earlier on Tuesday his daughter Kely Nascimento had said on social media: "He is doing well post surgery, he is not in pain and is in a good mood (annoyed that he can only eat jello but will persevere!). He will move into a regular room in the next day or two and then go home.

"He is strong and stubborn and with the support and care of the brilliant team at Einstein and all of the love, energy and light that the world is sending, he will get through this!"

Pele has suffered from hip problems for years and cannot walk unaided.

His public appearances were already being cut before the COVID-19 pandemic and since then he has made few unnecessary forays outside his house near Santos.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting