Owners 'devastated' as fire destroys businesses

Damage to fishing tackle shop Lockdown Tackle and Bait
Six fire crews attended the blaze [BBC]

The owners of two Nottinghamshire businesses destroyed by a fire say they have "lost everything".

Six fire crews, as well as an aerial ladder platform and water carrier, rushed to the industrial fire in Urban Road, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, at about 22:30 BST on Friday.

Steve Droushiotis, 39, co-owner of LockDown Tackle and Bait in Urban Road Business Park, said "nothing can be salvaged".

Husband and wife Jack and Sarah Cabourn own the adjacent CabournsCarpentry and described the fire as their "absolute worst nightmare".

In a statement, the couple said: "Last night, our absolute worst nightmare came true.

"Our workshop was completely destroyed in a fire, we have lost absolutely everything.

"Our workspace, tens of thousands of pounds worth of materials, stock, tools and equipment that we have amassed over the last four years.

"We are absolutely devastated. This business has been our livelihood for the last four years and now we are going to have to start from scratch."

LockDown Tackle and Bait co-owner Mr Droushiotis said: "It's just a pile of rubble.

"We were in our third year [as a business]. It was only this year that things had started to go the way we wanted them to go. We started to get really busy."

He explained the business had also become a community hub.

"We've always had our doors open to anybody who wanted to sit down for a coffee and a chat," Mr Droushiotis added.

He said he and other affected businesses had "lost everything we've put our love and time and effort into".

Damage to fishing tackle shop Lockdown Tackle and Bait
An investigation into the blaze is scheduled to take place on Saturday, the fire service said [BBC]

While firefighters were tackling the blaze, people were asked to avoid the area and, if affected by the smoke, to keep doors and windows closed.

The fire service said: "One building has been severely damaged by the fire."

On Saturday morning, a spokesperson added: "The incident was scaled back overnight.

"One crew remains on scene to dampen down. Fire investigation is scheduled to take place later."

Nottinghamshire Police said officers were called to the fire at about 22:10, and did not know if it was suspicious at this time.

Follow BBC Nottingham on Facebook, on X, or on Instagram. Send your story ideas to eastmidsnews@bbc.co.uk or via WhatsApp on 0808 100 2210.

Related internet links