Terror probe after Spain church attacks

Spanish authorities are investigating what they call a possible "terrorist" incident after a machete-wielding man attacked several people at two churches in the southern port city of Algeciras, killing at least one person.

The man attacked clergymen at two churches - San Isidro and Nuestra Senora de La Palma, about 300 metres apart - just after 8pm on Wednesday evening in Algeciras, a spokesperson for the city said.

A source at Madrid's High Court said the incident was being investigated as terrorism.

Police said the attacker had been arrested, and a police source shared footage showing two officers escorting a man in a hooded sports top in handcuffs through a police station.

Police have not released details of his name or nationality. Local media, including El Pais newspaper, said he was a 25-year-old Moroccan.

The man who was killed was Diego Valencia, a sacristan at the Nuestra Senora de La Palma church, while the titular priest of the parish church of San Isidro, Antonio Rodriguez, was among the injured and is in serious condition, the Algeciras city spokesperson said.

An unknown number of others were also injured. El Mundo newspaper reported that four people were hurt in the attack.

Police said the suspect first entered the San Isidro church and attacked Rodriguez. A statement by the Algeciras Salesians said Rodriguez, 74, had been celebrating Eucharist when he was attacked.

The assailant then went into the Nuestra Senora de La Palma church where he damaged property before attacking Valencia, who fled the church but was chased by the suspect, who inflicted further, fatal injuries on him outside.

The parish priest at Nuestra Senora de La Palma, Juan Jose Marina, told broadcaster SER the suspect went straight for Valencia after the mass had finished, suggesting he might have believed Valencia was the priest.

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez tweeted his condolences to the victims of the "terrible attack", while the secretary-general of Spain's Episcopal Conference, Francisco Garcia, spoke of his "great pain" on hearing the news.

Jose Ignacio Landaluce, the mayor of Algeciras, has declared a day of mourning in the city for Thursday.

Earlier on Wednesday, two people were killed and several others injured when a 33-year-old stateless Palestinian man attacked them with a knife on a train travelling between Kiel and Hamburg in northern Germany, authorities said.