NZ travellers ordered to quarantine as ANOTHER state declares Auckland a hotspot

Josh Dutton
·News Reporter
·2-min read

NSW and Queensland have declared New Zealand’s city of Auckland a Covid-19 hotspot and have changed rules surrounding foreign arrivals.

From 12.01am on Thursday, February 25, the new hotspot identification will come into effect in NSW.

Queensland halted incoming flights from New Zealand from 6pm on Wednesday, February 24.

Both states now require passengers to complete 14 days in quarantine before entering. 

No new cases of coronavirus were recorded in Auckland, on New Zealand’s North Island, on Wednesday but authorities in Australia are monitoring a cluster which has grown to 11.

Three new cases attached to the cluster were reported on Tuesday.

In response, NSW Health announced arrivals from New Zealand from February 20 are being contacted.

A passenger hugs a family member upon arrival from New Zealand at Sydney International Airport.
A woman arrives from New Zealand at Sydney International Airport in October. Source: Getty Images

“As a precaution, people who have arrived since Saturday 20 February are also being asked if they are well and are being asked to get tested for Covid-19 and isolate until they get a negative result, or for 14 days if they attended one of the venues," it said.

"A notice is now in effect specifying Auckland as a hotspot.

“This requires people arriving in NSW from New Zealand who have been in Auckland, including the airport, to enter hotel quarantine for 14 days. Alternatively, they may choose to depart Australia.”

The hotspot will come into effect from Thursday morning.

Queensland declared all of New Zealand a hotspot from 6pm Wednesday with travellers across the Tasman now required to undergo 14 days of mandatory hotel quarantine.

Motorists queue at the Otara testing station after a positive COVID-19 coronavirus case was reported in the community as the city enters a level 3 lockdown in Auckland.
A number of Auckland residents present for testing in Otara last week. Source: Getty Images

The state’s health department is also asking anyone who has been in New Zealand since February 21 to come forward for coronavirus testing.

Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young said the state is “acting with the abundance of caution”.

“New Zealand is working very hard to contain this community transmission, but they are still in a critical stage of their response so we need to keep watching closely,” she said.

“Things can change really quickly with this virus – we’ve seen that in other countries around the world, which is why I am asking Queenslanders to reconsider their need to travel to New Zealand.”

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.