Fidget spinners, the latest toy craze, have been banned in Germany after investigators found the product to be "unsafe".

Close
Stop Video Replay 0:38

Dog Learns to Use Fidget Spinner

UP NEXT

The announcement follows several reported cases of children taken to emergency rooms after swalling parts of the toy - initially brought out to help relieve stress.

Recently a young Sydney boy was hospitalised after swallowing part of a fidget spinner.

His mother shared a picture of an X-ray of her son on Facebook showing a small part of it lodged in his stomach.

Fidget spinners have now been banned in Germany after the toy was found to be dangerous.

"Our son swallowed the disc of a fidget spinner last night & ended up at RNSH Emergency," she told the North Shore Mums Facebook group on Sunday.

The toy, which contains ball bearings, had cracked and broken apart before her son swallowed part of it, she said.

"Ours are now in the bin & just want to make you all aware of what can happen with these things," she said.

"He has to pass it within two days or we're looking at alternative methods of extraction."

The boy swallowed part of his fidget spinner. Photo: Facebook / North Shore Mums

One Facebook user commented and said they have also thrown their fidget spinners out too.

Another mother also shared her concerns about the toy on Facebook last month, which received over 29,000 comments.

Her daughter had swallowed part of the toy and was taken to the emergency department after it became lodged in her oesophagus.

The toy consists of a bearing in the centre of a design made from any of a variety of materials including brass, stainless steel, titanium, copper and plastic.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission last month issued a recall for a specific fidget spinner that contained button batteries, which pose a choking hazard for young children.

Luckily, Britton came out of the incident unscathed but it could have been worse. Photo: Facebook / Kelly Rose Joniec

Frankfurt Main Office in Germany blocked 80 tonnes of the colourful rotors from entering the country and examined them in May.

Of the 80 tonnes, 35 of these were classified as "unsafe products" and directly destroyed.

They found the LED lights could be so easily removed that they could be swallowed.

Although an exchange of the lights was foreseen, the individual parts would have to withstand a certain pressure. This was not the case with these products, declared a spokeswoman for the Customs Office.

Fidget spinners are one of the most popular toys for children this year and are marketed as helping kids release stress.

Latest From 7News