The Baird government has been accused of jumping the gun in its review of controversial new bail laws in NSW.
Junior Vice President of the NSW Bar Association Arthur Moses said it was premature to review the laws before the first report into their impacts, due in September, was completed.
"One should not adopt a shifting sands approach to legislation based on what is said to be concerns that have arisen out of one case," he said.
"Legislation in the criminal justice system needs to be the subject of mature and considered reflection, not knee-jerk reaction."
A risk-based approach replaced the presumption against bail for serious offences on May 20, after almost three years research by the NSW Law Reform Commission.
The laws were designed to reduce a complicated, inconsistent system.
But there was an outcry following the granting of bail to alleged wife killer Steven Frank Fesus and infamous bikie boss and alleged Sydney Airport murderer Mahmoud "Mick" Hawi.
Premier Mike Baird announced a review into the laws last week, which will be led by former Attorney-General John Hatzistergos.
Mr Baird cited concerns the laws did "not reflect the government's intention to put community safety front and centre".
The review is expected to be completed by the end of next month.
Mr Moses said the new bail laws were similar to those already in Victoria and ensured "bail was only granted if the community was not put at risk".