NSW teen gets electric shock at rail site

Julia Carlisle

Authorities say Sydney pedestrians are safe after a teenage girl received an electric shock from an exposed wire near the city's CBD light rail project on the weekend.

Fifteen-year-old Anna Lambden was injured at the Haymarket on Sunday near a light rail construction site when she took off her uncomfortable shoes and walked towards the train station in wet socks, according to her mother Viola Morris.

Passers-by who tried to help the teen were also shocked when they touched her, Ms Morris wrote on social media

Ms Morris posted a photograph of herself and her daughter in Royal Prince Alfred hospital on Facebook on Monday, saying the incident could have been "catastrophic".

Transport NSW deputy secretary Tony Braxton-Smith says the site is safe and investigations are continuing.

"I can assure people that there have been teams on site to make sure the site is electrically safe. It's a very unusual incident and we are taking it extremely seriously and we want to get to the bottom of where the cause is and make sure things like that don't happen again," he told 2GB on Tuesday.

Labor's deputy leader Michael Daley says the state government's "already disastrous" light rail project has now become a "dangerous disaster".

"Gladys Berejiklian needs to get her safety auditors on site, en masse, this morning," he told AAP on Tuesday.

He blamed the government's previous cost-cutting measures to the NSW Department of Roads and Maritime Services and transport agencies.

"They don't have the capability to have project managers of their own on-site any more, and this is what happens when you cut budgets," he said.

Ms Morris said her daughter has been discharged from hospital and was "in lots of pain" but that's "settled to muscular pain now".

The Roads and Maritime Services is investigating after its workers identified an exposed wire at the site.

"For all the crazy things kids do. I'm wild with rage that something as innocent as taking off boots to walk in socks could have killed her," the girl's mother said.