The number of people dying on NSW roads while speeding or not wearing a seatbelt has increased dramatically this year, despite fewer cars on the roads during the coronavirus pandemic.
Sixty-five people died in speed-related crashes between March and July, an increase of almost 60 per cent from 38 in the same period last year.
The number who died while not wearing seatbelts more than doubled - from eight to 17.
"Too many people are dying on roads close to home during this health crisis," Transport Minister Andrew Constance said on Monday.
"These aren't just figures, they are people - people who are missed by their families, their friends, their colleagues and their communities simply because someone decided to speed or didn't think it was important to put on a seatbelt."
More than 70 per cent of those killed in both categories were men.
Of the 65 people who died in speed-related crashes, 48 were men, and 13 of the 17 drivers and passengers who died while not wearing seatbelts were also men.
Mr Constance says the fact people are staying off the roads more cannot lead to complacency among drivers.
"When you get behind the wheel, make the right choice - slow down and buckle up."
"It's a privilege and not a right to drive."