NSW police push explosives amnesty

Andrew Leeson
AAP

People who are hanging onto leftover fireworks or sticks of TNT are being urged to call police under a NSW amnesty to rid the state of dangerous explosives.

The amnesty on commercial explosives, announced on Tuesday in Sydney, is the first of its kind in Australia and NSW Police hope it will remove dangerous material from the community.

"People have these things, they hang onto them because they don't know what to do with them," NSW police counter-terrorism and special tactics commander assistant commissioner Mark Murdoch told reporters.

"These things can be safely disposed of with assistance of our rescue and bomb-disposal experts without fear of anyone ending up in front of a magistrate," Mr Murdoch said.

Those who have explosives, including gun powder and nitroglycerine, should not move them as explosives become unpredictable as they age, he said.

Eight call-outs had been made to police for explosives since March, when the amnesty started, with one instance including "highly unstable and very, very dangerous" explosives on a property in southern NSW believed to be linked to the Snowy Hydro scheme.

"Some of the explosives down in southern NSW were left overs from the Snowy Mountains scheme, which potentially dates those things at upwards of 50 years of age," Mr Murdoch said.

The amnesty runs until September 14, 2017.