NSW police 'horrified' by 2014 road deaths

AAP

The number of people killed on NSW road so far in 2014 has more than doubled from last year, with twenty six lives lost since January 1.

Police said of those killed this year, 15 were drivers, three were passengers, five were motorcyclists, two were pedestrians and and one was riding a bicycle.


The figure is a 116 per cent lift on the same time in 2013, in which 12 lives were lost.

In the latest fatality, a man was killed in a crash at Oran, in western Sydney, on Wednesday.

The 62-year-old driver was killed when the BMW he was driving veered off the road and smashed into a tree.

He died at the scene.

Police say they're "horrified" at the numbers, with NSW Deputy Police Commissioner Catherine Burn saying it hasn't "been a great start to the year in terms of road trauma".

"This is disappointing, coming so soon after a record-low road toll in 2013, and police will be doing everything within our power to bring down that average," Deputy Commissioner Burn said in a statement on Thursday.

She said police would be out in force for Operation Safe Return - the state's annual Australia Day long weekend traffic-enforcement campaign.

The operation starts on Friday morning runs until Monday night.