NSW murder jury told notes were crazy talk

Margaret Scheikowski
A Sydney builder has denied murdering Elisha Karmas, who disappeared in August 2011

A Sydney builder accused of murdering a neighbour was delusional when he wrote "bizarre" notes about torturing the missing man, a jury has been told.

Elefterios "Terry" Fantakis previously testified his writings were "ludicrous", while his lawyer on Wednesday said they came from "a mind that is detached from reality".

"It is crazy talk, ladies and gentlemen," defence lawyer Iain Todd said in his final address to the NSW Supreme Court jury.

Fantakis, 43, has pleaded not guilty to the August 2011 murder of 52-year-old Elisha Karmas, whose body has never been found.

Andrew Keith Woods, 41, and Derek Cheng, 26, deny being an accessory after the fact of murder.

Prosecutor Lou Lungo alleges Fantakis developed a strong hatred for Mr Karmas, who was mediating in a family financial dispute.

The Crown contends he killed him on August 11, 2011, at a Punchbowl home, before his body was disposed of in the Georges River near Campbelltown.

The jury has been told a diary belonging to Fantakis contained entries including: "I kicked him off his feet and punched him in the throat to incapacitate him ... I torture him."

But Mr Todd referred to psychiatric evidence that over time, after Mr Karmas went missing, his client's mental health deteriorated and he was placed on various medications.

He developed delusional psychotic ideas and his "strange and bizarre" writings included notes of people being involved in heinous crimes and thinking a bug was planted in his head.

"None of these writings, I say, can you accept as being factually correct in saying that they are admissions by Mr Fantakis."

The writings were voluminous and obsessive, reflecting his then state of mind.

"We have a series of not only audio and video but written records of Mr Fantakis which don't make sense," Mr Todd said.

Fantakis testified he did not murder, harm or torture Mr Karmas, agreeing the handwriting was his but saying he couldn't believe he wrote those comments and was no longer the same man.

Mr Todd contended the police had tunnel-vision in their investigations into Fantakis, who over time began feeling victimised.

He was not arrested until October 2013, more than two years after Mr Karmas disappeared and after police became aware of the writings.

"There is nothing that leads the police to find any evidentiary material of a forensic nature," he said.

The trial continues.