A Sydney mother has been spared jail after her toddler nearly died when he swallowed a cocktail of drugs from her boyfriend's stash.
The 37-year-old woman told doctors the gravely ill two-year-old had ingested paint thinner when he arrived at hospital in December 2016.
But tests confirmed the child was suffering a toxic reaction to ice and her lies delayed his life-saving treatment.
The mother was handed a two-year good behaviour bond at Penrith Local Court on Tuesday and banned from seeing her son for five years.
The boy had just finished his macaroni and cheese breakfast at his South Penrith home when he began vomiting in the sunroom where police later found an ice pipe.
The unresponsive toddler started having seizures shortly after arriving at Nepean Hospital but his mother repeatedly avoided "fessing up" to doctors about what he'd consumed, magistrate Stephen Corry said.
When the child's condition turned critical he was taken to Sydney Children's Hospital at Randwick and placed in an induced coma.
The boy's toxicology results revealed a variety of drugs - including methamphetamine and GHB - in his system but he's since made a full recovery.
The three-and-a-half year old now lives with his grandmother who was present in court on Tuesday.
The magistrate found there was nothing to suggest the mother was a drug user. He said the drugs appeared to be linked to her then boyfriend.
The 37-year-old had no prior convictions but did have a "history of bad partners".
Mr Corry said the profoundly remorseful woman, who can't be identified for legal reasons, now suffers PTSD and ongoing psychological issues.
An AVO was taken out against her on behalf of her son with the magistrate ordering no contact except as approved by the Family and Community Services minister.
Earlier this year she'd pleaded guilty to recklessly failing to provide for her child causing danger or death. The offence carries a maximum five-year jail term.