NSW man in court after box cutter attack

A man accused of slashing another man's face with a box cutter knife on a Sydney street was out on parole at the time of the alleged attack, a court has heard.

Teak Michael Curran has faced Parramatta Bail Court, via video link on Saturday, charged over an attack in the early hours of Friday that left the alleged victim needing 14 stitches.

The 29-year-old allegedly attacked a man, who he knew, at 12.40am on Friday at Woollahra before fleeing the scene.

When he was arrested by a member of the Public Order and Riot Squad around 9.30pm, he was allegedly in possession of 12 tablets of Xanax and 5 tablets of Diazepam, better known as Valium.

His lawyer Ahmed Dib told the court he conceded the charges were serious and Curran had a lengthy criminal and violent history, but his client had never received proper drug counselling since he began offending at a young age.

During a bail application, Mr Dib proposed the 29-year-old be released on the condition he attend a residential rehab facility for six months on the Central Coast, and if he abandoned the treatment authorities would be notified.

"He's at a cross roads," Mr Dib told the court.

"This is somebody who needs that help. Unless he seeks help it is quite clear he can't deal with his addictions."

The lawyer also disputed police allegations the attack was unprovoked.

Police prosecutor, Sergeant Hickey, argued bail should be opposed because the accused was a threat to the community.

"(He) is extremely dangerous and is not afraid to use weapons to enforce his will," the prosecutor told the court.

The magistrate agreed and denied bail, saying a rehab centre was not a "locked door facility" and he had to weigh up the risks to the community.

"It's a matter of a very violent nature," Magistrate Bailey said.

"Regrettably, the scales fall very heavily against the accused. I think the risk is far too great."

The accused, who has a tear drop tattooed under his left eye, remained silent throughout the court hearing as his girlfriend watched on and sobbed.

His case will appear before Waverley Local Court on August 28.