SIGN UP for our newsletter ✉️ :

Get the latest stories delivered straight to you

NSW coalition vows support for women after miscarriage

Grieving NSW women dealing with miscarriage or the heartbreak of stillbirth will be offered more support services, if the coalition government is returned.

Some $2 million in funding has been promised ahead of the March 25 election for over-the-phone, in-person and online services for bereaved women and families.

The announcement comes after Premier Dominic Perrottet's wife Helen revealed she had suffered three miscarriages.

The mother of seven said she had been working before the first loss and there was little consideration for the "horrific" grief she felt.

"They said 'you can take a week off or whatever but you have to take sick leave'," she told Nine News on Monday.

"It should be bereavement leave."

Health Minister Brad Hazzard says accredited organisations will now be able to apply for additional funding to expand support services.

"It is hard to fathom the anxiety, panic and utter devastation a woman would experience when told her baby has died," he said on Tuesday.

"Fathers and families all too often also experience tremendous sadness, often in silence, so to have an informed and compassionate support service to manage that loss is vital."

In Australia, six babies are stillborn each day, affecting more than 2000 families each year.

Minister for Women Bronnie Taylor said the funding will ensure wherever families are in NSW, counselling and support will be available.

"Recovering mentally, emotionally and physically from pregnancy loss takes time and for many, that helplessness and upset can be long-term," she said.