NSW baby swallowed cocktail of drugs

Lucy Hughes Jones

Moments after a Sydney toddler ate his morning macaroni and cheese breakfast the two-year-old accidentally swallowed a life-threatening amount of ice from a discarded pipe in the family home.

The unresponsive child's mother told doctors he had ingested paint thinner when he arrived at hospital and began having seizures in December 2016.

But tests confirmed the boy was suffering a toxic reaction to a cocktail of drugs - including methamphetamine and GHB - and his mum's lies delayed his treatment.

The 37-year-old woman was on Tuesday spared jail time after being handed a two-year good behaviour bond at Penrith Local Court.

An AVO was also taken out against her on behalf of her son with the magistrate ordering no contact except as approved by the Family and Community Services minister.

When the child's condition turned critical in 2016 he was taken to Sydney Children's Hospital at Randwick and placed in an induced coma.

He's since made a full recovery and now lives with his grandmother who was present in court on Tuesday.

Magistrate Stephen Corry found there was nothing to suggest the mother was a drug user. He said the drugs appeared to be linked to her then boyfriend.

The profoundly remorseful woman had no prior convictions but did have a "history of bad partners", the court heard.

She now suffers PTSD as a result of the incident, Mr Corry said.

Earlier this year the woman pleaded guilty to recklessly failing to provide for her child causing danger or death. The offence carries a maximum five-year jail term.