NSW announces two new local Covid cases

·News Reporter
·2-min read

NSW has announced a further two locally acquired Covid-19 cases as its latest cluster in Sydney's east could lead to a further tightening of restrictions, the premier warns.

NSW Health announced two community cases in the 24-hour period to 8pm Sunday on Monday morning, both of which were identified the previous day. 

However two cases beyond that reporting period have since been identified and takes the number of local cases since the outbreak began to 11. The two cases will be included in tomorrow's numbers.

nsw
nsw

One of the cases is a woman in her 50s from Sydney’s northern suburbs and is a close contact of a previously reported case and has been in isolation.

The other is a man in his 30s from Sydney’s eastern suburbs and is also close contact of a previously reported case and has been in isolation.

Sydney exposure sites continue to grow 

There are now 24 close contact exposure sites including several stores at Drummoyne's Birkenhead Point while there are an additional 58 casual contact exposure sites.

Anyone who attended Tempe Salvos on June 17 or June 19 between 9am to 5pm must get tested immediately and isolate for 14 days. 

The outbreak has led to increased restrictions for about one million residents in seven local government areas as health authorities look to curtail the spread of the virus.

Anyone shopping, working in hospitality or indoors must wear a mask unless eating or drinking if they live in the local government areas of Randwick, Bayside, Botany Bay, Inner West, City of Sydney, Waverley and Woollahra.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said on Sunday the government would also extend compulsory mask-wearing on public transport in Greater Sydney until Thursday and expand the order to Wollongong and Shellharbour local government areas.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the next few days are "critical" and warned further restrictions could not be ruled out.

"We ask people not to be complacent. If cases continue to emerge we will need to go further," she said on Sunday.

The latest outbreak was sparked when an unvaccinated limousine driver, who transported overseas aircrew to and from the airport, tested positive last week to the highly transmissible Delta variant after visiting multiple venues, including the popular Bondi Junction Westfield shopping centre.

Anyone with the slightest of symptoms is urged to come forward with Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant concerned not enough people are coming forward.

Ms Berejiklian said she wants 40,000 tests a day – a similar level witnessed in Melbourne earlier this month as the city experienced a spike in cases. 

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting