BEHIND THE CABINET DOCUMENT BREACH:
* About 300 documents collated between mid-2013 and mid-2014 were in "secure containers" held within the Cabinet Division of the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet.
* Half of the documents were categorised "protected" or below, while some were national security classified material. They were not official cabinet records, but related mainly to freedom of information requests.
* Following the Cabinet Division accommodation move in January 2016 eight secure containers were identified as surplus and returned to Corporate Division.
* None of the containers were checked to ensure they no longer held any documents.
* Two containers which were missing keys were disposed of without being opened or checked.
* New checks have been put in place including a register of containers, unique numbers for each container and protocols for ensuring drawers are searched.