Nick Kyrgios has revealed a sickening message he received from an online troll after a car he owns was involved in a crash on Saturday.
The Sunday Telegraph published photos and video of the $300,000 black Dodge Demon wrapped around a power pole in the ACT, with Kyrgios later seen talking to police.
Kyrgios isn’t exactly a fan favourite in Australia, but he’s taken to social media to expose a truly horrific message he received in the aftermath.
“Suck s*** about your car ya flop,” the message says.
“I’ve been in a car accident before. Spewing you’re alive ya weak c***.”
Kyrgios shared the message with his followers, writing: “Cheers bro, honestly why I’ve lost a little faith in humanity”.
Kyrgios on best behaviour
It continues a tumultuous time for Kyrgios, who last month surprisingly managed to avoid an immediate ban from the ATP Tour following the conclusion of an investigation into his explosive second-round match in Cincinnati.
The peak body for tennis is expected to come under the microscope after instead opting to give the firebrand Australian a 16-week suspended ban and fine.
The suspension and fine of $US25,000 (A37,000) will kick in if Kyrgios commits a similar offence within a six-month period, while he must also agree to continued support from a mental skills coach during tournaments plus seek extra help from a specialist in behavioural management before the end of the year.
Kyrgios had already been handed a record fine of $US113,000 ($A167,000) after committing eight offences during his second-round match with Karen Khachanov, including verbally abusing umpire Fergus Murphy and spitting towards the official at the Cincinnati Masters in August.
He later said "the ATP was pretty corrupt anyway" before backing down from the claims.
The ATP determined that did not constitute a major offence and determined no further penalties would apply.
The investigation was conducted by Gayle David Bradshaw, executive vice president, rules & competition, who concluded that Kyrgios "has been found to have committed Aggravated Behaviour under the Player Major Offense provision in the ATP Code."
After a string of incidents over the past five years former Australian greats Pat Rafter and Rod Laver had called for Kyrgios to receive a ban.