A newlywed couple have been found dead in their bathroom after returning home from their honeymoon.
The lifeless bodies of Zaheer Sarang and Nabeelah Khan were found in their home in the South African city of Johannesburg on June 13.
Police spokesperson Mavela Masondo said the couple was found dead in their shower in a suspected electrocution incident.
“It is suspected that the couple were electrocuted. Police are still waiting for the post-mortem results that will confirm the cause of death," Masondo said.
According to local reports, Nabeelah Khan, 24, was killed after touching a tap in the shower and her new husband, whose age was not given, was zapped to death when he attempted to help her.
Residents in the area have reportedly been complaining about constant outages and power surges for a while.
Local activist Aziz Ally said power cuts and illegal electricity connections in the area are a huge problem, adding that illegal setups often take place “in broad daylight”.
“The problem is that there are many other residents from Homestead Park, Mayfair South that are also experiencing this shocking when they touch the taps at their homes," Ally said.
Isaac Mangena, the spokesperson for City Power, said that company CEO Mongezi Ntsokolo has opened an immediate investigation into the couple’s death.
“From Monday morning, a team has been busy with a preliminary investigation to establish the facts, and we will provide the details later," Mangena said.
“While we are busy with investigations, we urge residents to desist from tampering with electricity infrastructure, vandalism and illegal connections which may lead to the circuit malfunctioning.”
The investigation is ongoing.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com