New theory emerges about missing Sydney millionaire

Brianne Tolj
·2-min read

Detectives are reportedly investigating a new theory about the mysterious disappearance of Sydney businesswoman Melissa Caddick.

Ms Caddick was last seen at her $7 million Dover Heights home, in the city’s east, during the early morning hours of November 13.

Her husband, Anthony Koletti, said she left home for a jog while he was sleeping. There is no suggestion he is involved in her disappearance.

NSW Police said she may have left the home about 5.30am (AEDT), and has not been seen or heard from since.

Melissa Caddick and her husband.
Melissa Caddick was last seen at her $7 million Dover Heights home during the early morning hours of November 13. Source: Facebook

Officers are now looking into the possibility the millionaire staged her own disappearance, The Daily Telegraph reported on Thursday.

Bondi police active crime manager Stuart Thomas told the publication CCTV cameras at the 49-year-old’s home stopped working a couple of days before she vanished.

“We are not ruling anything out at this stage and are working on several theories,” he said, adding they are “very worried for her welfare”.

A second police source told The Daily Telegraph: “Maybe she just doesn‘t want to be found.”

NSW Police told Yahoo News Australia they could not confirm if detectives were investigating if Ms Caddick’s disappearance was staged.

The day before she was last seen, Yahoo News Australia understands the Australian Federal Police raided Ms Caddick’s home, froze her 17 bank accounts and banned her from leaving the country.

Melissa Caddick is pictured with a dog.
Officers are reportedly looking into the possibility the millionaire staged her own disappearance. Source: NSW Police

Ms Caddick’s company, Maliver Pty Limited, was ordered to give ASIC its latest annual financial statement as part of an investigation into the handling of investor funds, court documents reveal.

The case is scheduled to appear in court again tomorrow, ASIC confirmed to Yahoo News Australia.

There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing by either party.

Mr Koletti has pleaded on TV for his wife of seven years to return home.

“We are asking the community to help bring Melissa home,” Mr Koletti said last week.

He also said she left behind her mobile phone, something she had never done before.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.