A NSW family claim they left were shaken after two mystery metal objects, which look like razor blades, somehow found their way into a bag salad bought from Woolworths.
The family purchased an American Coleslaw Kit from the retailer’s Cherrybrook store, northwest of Sydney, on Thursday and claimed they encountered a major problem after serving it up for dinner.
One of two metal blades found inside the bag caused a woman’s tongue to be cut, but she feared it could have been far worse if the sharp object made it into her baby’s mouth.
“We just bought American Coleslaw kit from Cherrybrook NSW Store. It has metal blades inside it,” she wrote in a post to the supermarket’s Facebook page.
“Only found out once we started eating it. I got a slight cut on my tongue. Lucky our baby didn't eat it.”
She claimed the other blade was spotted among salad on her child’s plate, prompting her to call on the supermarket giant to “review and recall [the salad bag] ASAP”.
While the woman appeared convinced the metal objects originated from the Woolworths salad, the supermarket said this theory was unlikely to be true.
“At Woolworths we take food safety and quality very seriously and moved quickly to assess this customer report with our supplier,” a Woolworths spokesperson told Yahoo News Australia.
“Our supplier operates to the highest food safety standards and has metal detectors, X-ray machines and magnets installed on site to ensure metal can’t leave the site.
“Given all of these food safety controls, it’s difficult to understand how something like this could happen in a sealed pack, so we’ll be keen to follow the matter up with the customer further.”
There was a suggestion the metal objects could have originated from utensils used to prepare or serve the salad in the home, such as metal serving tongs.
Woolworths said it was unaware of any similar complaints relating to the coleslaw kit.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.