Two charged over missing Vic man's murder

A second man has been charged with murder over the disappearance of Christopher Jarvis from regional Victoria 16 years ago.

Hours after Glenn Ernest Fenwick, 59, faced Warrnambool Magistrates Court accused of Mr Jarvis' murder, police announced a 70-year-old Wangoom man had also been charged with one count of murder.

Mr Jarvis, 38, has not been seen since he left his family home at Wangoom, near Warrnambool, about 6am on June 13, 2006.

When he didn't arrive at work, staff contacted Mr Jarvis' partner about 7.30am. His car was found on fire at Warrnambool's Thunder Point coastal lookout about half an hour later.

Detectives arrested Fenwick and a 70-year-old man on Tuesday, following a renewed appeal for information on Mr Jarvis' disappearance.

Both men have since been charged with murder.

The 70-year-old has been remanded in custody and will face the Warrnambool court on Thursday.

Fenwick faced the court in person on Wednesday afternoon. Police will allege he murdered Mr Jarvis in Wangoom on the day he was last seen, court documents stated.

Two of Mr Jarvis' distressed family members attended court for Fenwick's brief hearing, yelling at the alleged murderer.

"You've got to understand it's my father that that f*****t has f***ing murdered," a man said.

"I hope you enjoy watching your f***ing children grow up, you dog," a woman said.

Magistrate Simon Guthrie replied: "I'm sorry this is distressing for you."

Fenwick has suffered multiple heart attacks and has an acquired brain injury, the court was told.

His lawyer Kerry Schroeder asked for Fenwick to be medically assessed when he is transported to jail in Melbourne.

"Given the stress of the situation, we would ask that he have a full medical work up," she told the court.

Ms Schroeder said it was not Fenwick's first time in custody, but it had been a "significant number of years" since he had been in jail.

Fenwick was taken into custody and will next face court in April 2023.

Victoria Police said detectives were continuing to search for Mr Jarvis' remains.