Murder accused cleared security checks: PM

A Labor government would seek urgent briefings about how a pair of Rwandan men were cleared by Australian security checks despite previously facing trial for the murder of western tourists.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has confirmed the two men have been settled in Australia, but insists they have been cleared of war crimes.

Leonidas Bimenyimana and Gregoire Nyaminani were part of a trio who faced trial in the US over their involvement in the murder of eight British, American and New Zealand tourists in Uganda in 1999, having confessed to the crimes. However, the legal case fell apart and they had been in limbo since.

"They're in Australia and they were cleared of those particular matters in terms of Australia's assessment of those particular matters," Mr Morrison told the ABC's 730 program on Thursday.

"(The men) were subject to the security and character assessment and the work that must be done in terms of assessing whether there were any war crimes associated with persons coming as a refugee."

Should Labor win Saturday's election, it would seek immediate briefings "to find out what on earth has happened", frontbencher Tony Burke told ABC's AM on Friday.

He accused the coalition of being hypocritical on border protection, after its opposition to the medevac legislation pushed by Labor and crossbenchers.

The government protested that the changes would lead to asylum seekers accused of crimes like murder and rape being brought to Australia for medical treatment.

"Everything that Scott Morrison and (Home Affairs Minister) Peter Dutton said during the medevac legislation was misleading," Mr Burke said.

"They spent months and months launching an attack that had no basis in fact against Labor but appears now in what we know to have been true of themselves."

Senior cabinet minister Mathias Cormann rejected the accusations.

"Nobody who is assessed as presenting a security risk or a safety risk to the Australian people would be accepted into Australia," he said.

"There is a lot of inaccurate speculation which has been spread presumably for political reasons."

US media outlet Politico first reported Australia had agreed to take the two men as part of the people swap deal struck to resettle refugees from offshore immigration detention centres on Nauru and PNG's Manus Island.

Former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull struck the refugee deal with then-US president Barack Obama and convinced incumbent Donald Trump to stick to it.

Under the agreement, the US will take up to 1250 confirmed refugees from the offshore centres while Australia publicly agreed to resettle Central American refugees from camps in Costa Rica.

About 500 refugees have been accepted by the US so far.