Mum's warning after temporary tattoos leave sons with chemical burns


WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES – A family holiday turned into a medical emergency after two young boys were left with chemical burns from temporary tattoos gone wrong.

The young boys were on holidays in Morocco with their 30-year-old mother, Toni Feeney, and asked if they could get temporary tattoos on their arms.

Ms Feeney thought that the dragon and spider web tattoos were a harmless treat, but would soon grow to regret the decision.

The temporary tattoos were applied with black henna, a chemical that has the potential to cause serious burns and in some instances, permanent scarring.

The two young boys experienced a severe allergic reaction, causing aggressive red welts and marks on their forearms.

Ms Feeney, from Lancashire in the UK, warned others about the dangers of black henna, posting pictures of her sons’ horrific chemical burns.

Two young boys have been left with chemical burns after getting temporary tattoos on their arms while on holiday in Morocco. Source: Facebook/Toni Feeney

“This is what black henna can do to your skin,” she posted on Facebook alongside the images.

“We let our children have them on holiday not thinking for a second it would be dangerous.

“The hospital have said that the chemicals/dyes in black henna are too strong.

“They now have chemical burns and are on antibiotics and antihistamines in the hope that they don’t get infection.

“I’m gutted! Wouldn’t have gone near it if I’d have known. I just presumed it was harmless! Feel so bad.”

The WA Department of Health warns of the dangers of applying black henna to the skin.

Ms Feeney is warning other parents about the dangers of black henna temporary tattoos. Source: Facebook/Toni Feeney

“Black henna is not a natural substance – it is mixed with paraphenylenediamine (PPD) which changes the colour and reacts more quickly on the skin,” the WA Department of Health said.

PPD is a toxic substance often used in black hair dye which causes the colour of the dye to be nearly black, much darker than natural henna.

“It is illegal to use this substance on a client’s skin in Australia, but is more likely to be used in some overseas holiday destinations, such as Bali,” the department said.

The department warns that when applied to the skin, black henna can cause “oozing blisters that are itchy and painful”, permanent scarring, sensitisation dermatitis and even bronchial asthma.