Mum's vow after daughter loses half her head in motorcycle crash

·2-min read

A woman who lost half her head after a motorcycle crash is fighting for life after five months in a hospital intensive care unit.

University researcher Dilara Aldanoglu, 24, suffered horrific head injuries when a motorbike she was travelling on hit a car as she headed to surprise family members on New Year's Eve.

Passenger Dilara — who was not wearing a crash helmet — slammed into the windscreen of the car and suffered massive brain trauma and internal bleeding.

Since then, she has been on a respirator at the Turkan Ozilhan State Hospital in western Turkey.

Dilara before the motorcycle crash and after, with half her skull missing.
University researcher Dilara Aldanoglu, 24, suffered horrific head injuries when a motorcycle she was travelling on hit a car. Source: CEN/Australscope

The motorbike driver Sude Solak, who was wearing a crash helmet, left hospital after treatment for less serious injuries.

The driver of the car has been named as Isa E., 26, who did not have a licence at the time.

He was arrested after the accident and later released.

Five months after the crash, Dilara is still dependent on a respirator and will probably need constant care for the rest of her life.

Doctors have told Dilara’s mum Yasemin Aldanoglu that it is unlikely her daughter’s condition will ever improve.

But Ms Aldanoglu has vowed to never give up on her daughter.

"There is a prediction that she will always need constant care. However, they say 'while there’s life there’s hope', and I won’t give up on hope either," she said.

"The fire inside me will never pass, but maybe it will cool down in time. It really hurts me that the driver was released while my daughter remains in this state."

Man, 28, dies in freak backyard accident

Dilara's fight for life comes as another family grieves the death of a 28-year-old man who was killed in a freak accident in his family’s garden on Good Friday.

James Douglas, from Sunderland in the UK, died after a brick pillar — that had been standing for 15 years — collapsed on top of him as he climbed into a hammock elevated between two brick columns, the Sunderland Echo reported.

Paramedics rushed to the home but the property developer was pronounced dead at the scene.


Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting